Students will be able to compare and contrast the differences between positive and negative uses of social media.
Students will be able to analyze the positive and negative attributes of social media
Students will be able to present the positive and negative attributes of social media
1. You may assign or have students choose the social media they want to analyze. I would suggest presenting each group with one social media platform to save time.
2. Once students are arranged in their groups, they must create a pro a con list for the social media they will be analyzing. Have each group open a Google Doc and share it with the teacher and all group members.
3. Once you have your wikispace up and running, have one member of each group create a link for their social media in navigation frame of the wikispace (left-hand side).
4. Either on the wikispace or a handout, have students address the following questions:
A. Imagine that our school blocked your site. How would you present an argument to the administration to unblock this site? Why does the school need it? How will the students’ learning benefit from having this site open? NOTE: Keep in mind counter arguments to your points as you present.
B. Interview one teacher and one administrator in the building. Ask him or her how they would use this site in the school and why we should have access to it throughout the building. NOTE: Please present a list of interview questions beyond the prompt I suggested in the previous sentence. Also, follow the MLA guidelines for citing an interview.
C. Interview a guidance counselor and if you have the opportunity, a college representative. Ask them how students can use social media to increase their chances for college admission. Also, consider how students can hurt their admission chances if social media is used inappropriately. NOTE: Please present a list of interview questions beyond the prompt I suggested in the previous sentence. Also, follow the MLA guidelines for citing an interview.
D. Interview two students and ask them how they use social media. Also, ask if they think their use of social media will help or hurt their digital identity. NOTE: Please present a list of interview questions beyond the prompt I suggested in the previous sentence. Also, follow the MLA guidelines for citing an interview.
*** If you record any of your interviews, make sure you seek permission with your candidate before start filming or recording his or her voice***
5. I would like each group to set up a shared Google Doc folder that all members can access. In this folder you will house all of the files your group is using for this project.
6. One member of each group (or a different member each day) must compose a daily reflection blog chronicling the progress of the group’s progress.
This project will take several days and in the end we will have a valuable resource made by students for students, teachers, parents, and administrators. This wikispace can become a sustainable document that future classes can learn from and add to as social media continues to evolve. In short, the class will be creating a digital textbook for digital citizenship in a high school classroom.
If you decide to try this lesson with your class, please share a link to your wiki in the comment box below.