Below is the Technology Integration Plan for Boys' Latin Charter School. This is our first draft and it will change, but I wanted to elicit feedback if you have done this before. I created this position at our school, drafted a job description, and will be fully implementing a technology driven curriculum next fall. This project has been in the works since November of 2009 and has finally come to a reality.
The plan below is the action plan for the Instructional Technology Specialist, which I will take over this summer. This plan serves as a comprehensive list of duties and responsibilities that my position will require. Again, if you have any experience with this kind of position or action plan, please give me your feedback
Boys’ Latin Technology Integration Plan
Boys’ Latin Instructional Technology Specialist Vision Statement
The Instructional Technology Specialist will develop comprehensive technology use plan to implement technology goals; Provide unified integrated technology approach throughout all grade levels; Enhance connection between Administration, Faculty, Students, and Parents; Research and analyze data to improve technology integration in all content areas; Seek ways to restructure and/or refine the role of faculty and staff to enhance the technology integration plan vision at Boys’ Latin.
The role of the instructional technology specialist (ITS) will be to assist and integrate appropriate technology in to the Boys’ Latin curriculum. The ITS will perform the following tasks to integrate technology:
1. The ITS will work with each department during summer planning. This meeting will focus on integrating 21st Century Literacy Standards into the existing Boys’ Latin Standards.
2. The ITS will meet weekly at each content area department meeting. Content area teachers will showcase student work or ways in which they are integrating technology into their weekly curriculum. The ITS will present new ways to integrate technology and schedule appointments to assist classroom teachers in technology driven lessons or projects.
3. The ITS will provide one professional development session a month to all content area teachers. This professional development may utilize an outside speaker, the ITS, or a collaboration of the ITS and teachers.
4. The ITS will make himself or herself available throughout the week. The ITS will have a shared calendar in which faculty and administration can sign up for ITS assistance for integrating technology.
The ITS will maintain communication and collaboration between Administration, Faculty, Students, and Parents. This collaboration will make the classroom transparent and allow for ubiquitous access. The ITS will perform the following tasks to maintain collaboration:
1. The ITS will ensure that Administration and Faculty are collaborating via online resources, email, and web pages.
2. The ITS will collaborate via social networks to acquire new resources for classroom teachers and seek out professional development.
3. The ITS will oversee the content area online resource library created in conjunction with each department head.
4. The ITS will collaborate with local and national schools that wish to link up for an online project.
The ITS will maintain connectivity with the school, community, and the home. Students and Parents will have access to assignments, projects, and online resources at all times. The ITS will perform the following tasks to maintain connectivity:
1. The ITS will communicate with parents to enhance home connectivity and provide consistent connectivity support at the home.
2. The ITS will assist teachers in connecting to resources and establishing an online presence.
3. The ITS will assist students in connecting to various online resources and databases.
4. The ITS will connect with local and national schools that are technology driven schools looking to collaborate with Boys’ Latin.
The ITS will organize an online resource library and wikispace for Administration, Faculty, and Students. This resource library will constantly be updated and feature web resources that can be easily integrated into the Boys’ Latin Curriculum. The ITS will perform the following tasks to maintain organization:
1. The ITS will introduce the online resource library to Faculty in a brief professional development.
2. The ITS will maintain the online resource library so that all links and websites are current.
3. The ITS will show Administration and Faculty how to add content to the online resource library.
4. The ITS will create a shared calendar for Administration, Faculty, and Students. This calendar will allow all to set up an appointment with the ITS.
The ITS will consistently seek ways to improve the technology integration at Boys’ Latin Charter School. Professional development opportunities and conferences will be proposed throughout the year and integrated into weekly and summer faculty meetings. The ITS will perform the following tasks to promote technology education:
1. The ITS will compile and provide a weekly list of webinars, online professional development sessions, and journal articles on technology integration.
2. The ITS will assist teachers with online professional development sessions.
3. The ITS will recommend professional development opportunities for Administration and Faculty.
4. The ITS will present professional development for teachers during the summer, Wednesday Faculty meetings, and professional development days throughout the school year.
5. The ITS will offer instructional seminars and webinars for Parents and Students.
6. The ITS will educate Students on laptop responsibility.
7. The ITS will create and integrate an Acceptable Use Policy for Boys’ Latin Charter School.